Sunday, November 9, 2008

So... I need to catch you up a bit

I am going to put in a post from our original site. This is a sight my husband wrote while I was pregnant. This is the day they were born.

December 12, 2003 - Week 31
For years now I have herd people saying that the day there children were born were the best day of there lives. I always expected it to be a great day, but there are many great days in life...boy was I wrong! I have never in my life underestimated something so badly. Today was so much better then GREAT I can't even put it into words.
Well lets start from the beginning. Last night we had a lengthy discussion about when these babies were going to be delivered. We came to the agreement that she would talk to the doctor about scheduling the delivery for next week. We felt that this would be in everyone best interest. The babies would have been in there 32nd week, Dawn would finally be out of the pain she has been in for months, and we would not get stuck with the doctor that could not get Christmas week off because he is the low man on the totem poll.
Today started just like any other Friday in my life, got up, went to work, and proceeded to do my job when I got a phone call from Dawn at about 10:30 am. She began to explain the results of her Level II Ultrasound and also inform me that Paige's condition had worsened slightly. The doctors told her that in Paige's current condition she was not in any immediate danger but gave us an option for delivery because of how far she had gotten and how well the babies were developing. It would be another 7 days before she had this type of scan again and a lot can happen in 7 days. In out minds this really was not a tough choice she was delivering TODAY at 3:00 pm.
After making a few key phone calls to get the word out I hurried over to the hospital and arrived around 11:00 am. From 11:00 am until 2:00 pm was just a blur. It was non-stop visits from half of the doctors and nurses in the hospital. Everyone was coming up and explaining what there part was going to be in this hole process. On top of all this our cell phones were ringing off the hook. Maybe this will help you understand how many phone calls I received today. I had to recharge my phone three times from 11:00 am til 2:00 pm. Don't misunderstand this, I loved hearing from everyone, I am just trying to accurately convey the utter chaos that was going on.
About 2:00 pm they began to prep Dawn for surgery. Just the standard stuff, getting her IV started, installing the catheter (god just typing that word makes cringe), and getting her on a gurney for the trip to the OR. This took about 45 minutes or so then we were off. We were put in the staging area for the OR for about 30 minutes. By this time Dawn was completely freaking out (honestly so was I). She was in tears she was so scared, but that was all about to change. To all of our surprise Dr. Rode came in to join us and everything was instantly better. It was as if someone flipped a switch from scared to happy. We spent several minutes joking and laughing and she was in MUCH better spirits now. Dr. Rode told us that she was not going to be the one doing the delivery but her boss Dr. Colemorgan, the head of the department, would be. The time for joking and laughing quickly ended and it was time for her to go.
As Dawn and her mother headed off to the OR I was heading down to the waiting room. Yes that is right ... the waiting room. I am a total wuss when it comes to needles, blood, or just about anything that has to do with a hospital. I took a lot of crap from a lot of people about this decision but it was mine to make and if you don't like it ... tough.
Anyway, the walk from the OR to the waiting room was the slowest two minutes of my life. It seems to take me a week to get down there because of what was going on in my head. I was completely freaking myself out by thinking about all of the millions of things that could go wrong. I was starting to sweat and feel like I was going to pass out. I think I was well on my way to having a panic attack or something.
I did eventually make it down to the waiting room where Uncle Rich was waiting. Honestly, I think that if he wasn't there I would have been seeing a doctor myself in the next few moments because my chest was starting to tighten. I was loosing it! I am sure he could see the panic in my eyes or the sweat all over my shirt and forehead. In his calm and cool way he got me talking about different things and quickly my mood began to change. Don't get me wrong, I was still pretty stressed out but it was manageable. I just want to take a second to thank him because without someone there to get my head in check who knows what would have happened. Before I knew it two hours had passed and a nurse was calling to to go up and see Dawn.
I arrived in the recovery room to find only Dawn's mother there ... and no Dawn. Well as you can imagine this had me rather concerned. No more then a minute later the anesthesiologist came into the room. She explained that there were some "problems" giving Dawn the spinal block and they had to give her general anesthesia instead. As it turns out Dawn had retained so much fluid she could not find the right spot for the spinal block. I believe she said they tried six times to get it in with no success. I can not even begin to comprehend how much of a living hell that must have been for her. This poor girl, 31 weeks pregnant with quads, scared out of her mind, curled up on a gurney while this doctor sticks her in the spine with a needle SIX times.
Because they ended up giving her general anesthesia Dawn's mother was not allowed in the OR with her after all. She had to wait outside the room while they delivered the babies. There was one good thing about she not being able to be in the OR with Dawn though, she was able to take pictures of Samantha, Jeremy, and Christian as they took them out of the OR and into the special area where they stabilize them. The only reason she did not get a picture of Paige also was when she was taking the pictures of Samantha and Jeremy they took Paige out without her noticing. I do NOT want you to think that there is something wrong with Paige because there is no picture of her in the Image Gallery. There was just no opportunity for her to take the photo.
At 3:48 pm my first child Samantha Alexis Weir entered the world weighing in at 3 pounds 8 ounces.
At 3:49 pm my second child Jeremy Raymond Weir entered the world weighing in at 2 pounds 12 ounces.
Also at 3:49 pm my third child Paige Murphy Weir entered the world weighing in at 1 pound 8 ounces.
At 3:51 pm my forth child Christian Murray Weir entered the world weighing in at 3 pounds 15 ounces.
HOLY SHIT I HAVE 4 KIDS!!!!!
Dawn will be spending at least 24 hours in the recovery room while they closely monitor her. From what the doctors tell us she is doing well but her blood pressure is still high. She will be able to return to her room sometime after 5:00 pm tomorrow.
As for the kids I really don't have a lot of information. Samantha and Christian were the only ones that needed to be put on a ventilator. The doctors had told us that is was very likely that they would all need to spend some time on a ventilator when they were first born but Paige and Jeremy seem to be doing better then they had expected. They are all stable and seem to be doing well however the next few days very important. They are far from being out of the woods but all of the doctors are telling us they are doing very well.
Because Dawn has to be put to sleep for the birth she did not get a chance to see them while they were being born. At this point all she has seen in the three photos her mother took as they rushed them out of the OR. Once released from the recovery room she will be able to go and see them all she wants.
At around 10:00 pm Dawn's drug induced fog had lifted and we still had not heard much news about the babies. I called over to the Special Care Nursery and they told me that I could come over any time I wanted to see them. Dawn insisted that I take my mother and her mother over to see them right away. She knew she could not go over and see them herself but needed to know from people she trusted that they were truly ok.
For the next half hour or so I experienced something that I can not even attempt to explain. This was the most amazing time in my life (and amazing doesn't even come close to describing it). We walked into a room that was filled with these little tiny babies that Dawn and I brought into this world. Any further explanation would not even come close to doing it justice so I am not even going to attempt to. If you have gone through the experience yourself you know exactly what I mean.

No comments: