Sunday, November 9, 2008

Our Story

On June 10, 2003 I went to my first ultrasound. My husband (Dan) had to work, so I went by myself. I was so excited. We had been trying to have a baby for 4 years, fertility treatments, 2 miscarriages, lots of needles, blood tests, more needles, Dr. appointments everyday... oh.... did I mention the needles? Now it looked like everything was going well. My levels were looking really good, I felt good and I was excited! I was going to see the baby's heart beat. Yippie!!! So I went in and the ultrasound tech told me that my numbers were too high and that I was "too pregnant". I wasn't sure what that meant but since I was hoping for twins, I took that to be a good thing. She showed me 2 grey blobs on the screen and I started to cry. There were twins!!!! OMG.... I couldn't believe it. Then she moved the wand and I saw what I thought was another view of my twins. I WAS SO WRONG!!! She commented again that I was "too pregnant" and I asked what that meant. She said, "Dawn, you are having Quadruplets!" Terror was the first feeling I had, that went to fear, and then total disbelief, all in about 60 seconds. I laughed, I cried, and then I sobbed. I was not prepared for this, I was sure I couldn't do it. I left in a fog, and called Dan, told him to meet me out side. He of course freaked out and wanted to know what was wrong, so I told him. Looking back on it now, it's funny, at the time... not so much! He kept asking me "What do you mean there are 4 babies, we can't have 4 babies?"


Anyway, so everything went well for the next few months, I was measuring full term at 17 weeks, put on modified bedrest at 19 weeks. At 20 weeks we found out we were having 2 boys and 2 girls and started the ridiculously hard process of deciding on names. You would think that would be easy, but no, it was the cause of many tense moments in our house. At 22 weeks, we found out that Baby C (Paige) had Low Diastolic Flow in her placental cord. We were told that at best, it would stay this way and she would just be slow growing. At worst, she would eventually move onto Reversed Diastolic Flow, and we would lose her. So that of course cause great amounts of stress. We were lucky that she never moved into Reversed Diastolic flow, it never got worse than Absent Diastolic Flow. So, during all this time, my blood pressure was rising, and at 27 weeks, I was admitted. Constantly told I would deliver any day, and to be prepared for that. We wanted to make it to 32 weeks. That was the goal even though it seemed as though that could never happen. I will save you all the details, but I was able to hold out until 31 weeks and 2 days. Baby C (Paige) was having trouble and was showing signs of distress, and we decided it was time. They were born On December 12, 2003 at 3:48, 3:49, 3:49 and 3:51 pm via C-section.


Introducing, Samantha, Jeremy, Paige and Christian the most precious people in my life.



No comments: