Sunday, November 9, 2008

The NICU Stay

From the time I first found out we were having quads, we were told to expect the babies to spend time in the NICU. I have to tell you, that even though you are told to expect it, and you prepare yourself for it, it doesn't make it any easier to see your babies wired, and tubed, IV's in their head, bells and whistles going off. There is also no words to describe how I felt leaving them there in the hospital while I went home. Leaving them there to let other people care for my sweet babies, people who were better equipped than their own mother, to care for them. That was hard. I remember sitting in their room at home about 5 hours after leaving the hospital and just breaking down. I missed them so much. I needed to go back, but my husband (in trying to take care of me) had said he didn't want me to go back that first day, he wanted me to rest, and recover. We went back though... because he heard me crying, and knew it was what I needed more than rest.

For the most part we had an uneventful NICU stay. There were some scary days, and some terrifying moments, but most of it was fine. Samantha developed a Staph infection in her blood when she was 7 days old and she stopped breathing and we really though we might lose her, but she is a trooper and pulled through just like she was supposed to. Christian decided not to poop for 6 days, no matter what the nurses and doctors did so they were testing him for NEC which can be fatal. Turns out he just didn't want to. On day 6 he decided to let it all out, and the final "explosion" caused him to be put in a regular crib because he decided to use the isolete as his diaper, and it was just too gross to clean. LOL Jeremy and Paige, there just hung out. There were no issues with them. Well, almost. All 4 of them contracted MRSA while they were in the NICU, but it was nothing serious for them.

We were constantly told they would not come home before February, but on January 13 we got to bring home Jeremy, he was the first, then the next day, we were surprised when the nurse called us and said we could spring Samantha. Yeah.... we had 2 at home. Um... now what???? How do we visit with 2 in the hospital and still have 2 at home? We couldn't bring Samantha and Jeremy into the NICU now that they had been sent home.... well, we managed it. Christian came home on Friday of that same week, and we were elated. Unfortunately we had to wait until Feb 1 to have Paige home... but that was okay, she needed to gain some more weight. There was drama at home, and stress, but it was so wonderful!!! I love my life!!!

No comments: