Saturday, November 15, 2008

Nothing in Life is free...

I got a call yesterday from someone letting me know that we had "won" a free 1 room carpet cleaning, and did I want to go ahead and schedule that right now? I politely tell her I don't have carpet in my house. She then tells me that if I have hard wood floors, they will be happy to buff polish one of the floors. I say, well, what is the catch? She says there is no catch, we just have to listen to the demo about the Kirby Vacuum. So we talk, and I finally tell her that I believe that nothing in life is truely free... and she assures me that all I have to do is listen to the demo, they will buff my floor, and then leave if I don't want to buy the product. Sure I say... I have time for a demo.

The kid shows up,(I don't think he was 25 which recently feels really young to me). He procedes to show me how wonderful this product is, and I am completely sold. I LOVE the Kirby Vacuum cleaner. I want to buy 6 of them, just because they are so wonderful. But then.... he tells me the price, and I almost fall over.... $1,749.00 (with $199 down that is only 40ish dollars a month for the next 24 months). I looked at him and said, are you serious? It's just a vacuum!! That made him mad. Then he called his office, and they brought it down to $900. And I say it's still just a vacuum. Granted it is a really cool vacuum. Well, I tell him no... that's still too much money. So he calls his office again, and they tell me they can give me a "previously enjoyed" older model for just $650. Um... that is still more than I am going to pay for a vacuum. SO I politely tell him no thank you, and he finally gives up, but he is not happy. You can tell by the way he is cleaning up and puting things away. He has stopped talking and when he does, it's in short clipped sentences.

So he cleans up and leaves and I got my dining room floor buffed and polished for free right??? NO!!! Today I am living with the guilt of having the guy come here knowing I was not going to buy the product he was selling, and he spent 4 hours here showing it to me. I feel bad that he was really excited to see that I liked the product so much and then he was very annoyed with me because I did not buy it. I feel bad... and once again I have confirmed to myself that nothing in live is free!!!!

1 comment:

The Wright Trips said...

It's so funny that you posted this. I was going to post something on my blog about salespeople. We have people all the time coming to our house to sell that stupid vacuum. I was suckered in to the demo the first time & they said, "He'll be in here for maybe 45 minutes.) WRONG! It was 3 hours & I was so mad. My kids were napping.

Their whole scheme is to "call their boss to see if they can lower the price." You could tell my guy was mad too, since I didn't buy it. I swear, I get at least 1 Kirby salesperson a month at my door. I'm in the process of making a sign for it! :) And they are always so pushy.

Don't feel bad for sticking to your guns!

Shannon
mamalove on TC