Thursday, March 18, 2010

The mind of a 6 year old

Today I am trying to understand the mind of a 6 year old. Impossible, I know...but I figure I need to try, right?

Since school started, the kids have been fighting over who gets to be first every morning for the bus. I mean, full on fights...screaming, yelling, name calling, tears and stomping feet. This goes on everyday without fail. So frustrating. So I started to make them go in order, and I would change the starting person every Monday. That way they always knew who was first, and there was no fighting about it. It was working very nicely. The fighting had stopped, there was no rush to get out of the house first, there was no pushing, yelling or any of that! In short, I had bus line bliss!

So yesterday, I am talking to them about who's turn it is to be first and Samantha asks me if she can be last...so I say sure (since she is the loudest about being first usually). So Samantha is last and honestly can't remember who was first, but anyway, all were happy! This morning, Samantha again asked me if she could be last, telling me that she wanted to sit on the outside of the seat and that is why she wanted to be last. I figured since no one wants to be last, this was great, one less person to fight over being first. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now Paige decides she wants to be last too. "Mommy, I had to sit by the window yesterday...it's my turn to be last" My first though is you have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!! Now we are fighting over who is last?????? She starts to jump up and down yelling and screaming saying she wants to be last. Seriously? What do I do with that?

Even after I write all of this down, I still don't get it. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever understand the thought process of a child...

No comments: